Teams Needed Every wednesday
OLYN Day 2018
Vero Beach Elementary
We are excited to be providing food sacks to VBE, but now we are moving into more areas of outreach. You can now volunteer to be a morning greeter, a reader or a gardener. If you are interested, sign up today.
- Habitat ReStore, on Saturday morning December 9, volunteers helped to clean and organize merchandise at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
- Card Ministry. On November 29, we had several ladies decorate cards to give away for Christmas to one of the assisted living facilities in our area.
- ARC. On Friday, October 22, we had several ladies decorate at ARC for their Halloween Party.
- Pack-a-Sack Sunday on October 8 was a huge success. Our church family packed over 600 food sacks for underprivileged Vero Beach Elementary School children. Your assistance made this day a blessing for everyone. Thank you for your service to our congregation and the children of Vero Beach Elementary!
- Naomi House. On Saturday, October 14, OLYN volunteers helped with exterior painting of trim on the two duplex homes that make up the Naomi House campus.
- Local Hurricane Support: On Saturday, September 16, an OLYN team tarp several roofs here in Indian River County. The needs were identified by United Way.
- Shining Light Gardens: On Saturday, September 16, an OLYN Service team harvested a truckload of sweet potatoes at Shining Light Garden, a ministry dedicated to providing fresh vegetables to food insecure people in Indian River County.
- Habitat Re-Store: On Saturday, August 12th, an OLYN team cleaned and organize at the Re-Store on behalf of a single mother who needed volunteer hours to qualify for her new Habitat for Humanity home.
- Veteran's Council: On Saturday, July 29, an OLYN team served a local veteran by removing a tree in his yard that was damaging the foundation.
- UP (United Against Poverty): On Saturday, June 24th, a team from FUMC worked at the UP cost-share grocery store. The FUMC team sorted dry goods, cleaned shelves and checked date codes. This project served low-income families who shop at UP’s cost-share grocery store. At the UP store qualified families can purchase much needed grocery items at significantly reduced prices.
- Habitat for Humanity: On Saturday, May 6th an OLYN team of twelve members from FUMC joined hands with representatives from Christ by the Sea to paint the exterior of Ms. Angela Young's residence located in Grace Pines subdivision in Gifford. Angela was most pleased with the quality of the painting work. She said her house looked 'brand new', and she expressed her sincere thanks to all the volunteers.
- UP Postal Food Drive: On Saturday, May 13th an OLYN team of fifteen FUMC members supported United Against Poverty (UP), assisting with the unloading and sorting of donated dry goods received through the 25th Annual Letter Carriers' Food Drive. The team worked overtime to unload and sort what appeared to be a record level of food donations. 'UP' was most appreciative for FUMC's hard work and support.
- Delivery of Cards This week our youth and preschool children delivered cards to Palm Beach Gardens. The residents loved the cards and enjoyed seeing the children.
- CareNet. In March of 2017, an OLYN team cleared the property of the CareNet facility... taking out brush and replacing it with mulch.
- Card Team. Created cards for Easter to be taken to those in assisted living facilities.
OLYN DAY 2017: February 11
See the OLYN Video from February 2017:
OLYN 2017 engaged 425 team members who committed themselves to service on 15 teams, including 75 team members who served two or more ministries.
- The Cookie Baking team baked over 800 dozen cookies and the Cookie Delivery team included 22 families who delivered over 200 cookie containers to 5 police departments and 12 fire stations.
- The Shining Light Garden team planted over a mile of potatoes and worked together with members of Crossover Mission.
- The Food Sack teams set up and packed over 650 food sacks for food stressed children at Vero Beach Elementary. The Boy Scouts removed and recycled all the cardboard packaging.
- The Valentine’s Day Card Team produced over 1,000 inspirational cards for food sacks, stamped 400 breakfast bags and created enough Valentine’s Day cards to deliver one to each resident of Grace Rehabilitation Center and Orchid Island Manor Nursing Home.
- The Prayer Team prayed for all the ministry teams and for moms and dads who participated in the Buggy Bunch diaper ministry. The Prayer team handed out over 100 bibles and 100 prayer brochures.
- The Buggy Bunch handed out 250 boxes of disposable diapers and 200 FUMC ‘Be Our Guest Cards’ with website information on how to access FUMC’s live stream worship services.
- The Women’s Refuge team cleared brush and debris from the east fence line along the back of the Refuge property. The team also leveled the ground in preparation for the new fence and several trees were removed and debris hauled away.
- The Our Father’s Table team replaced all water damaged wall paneling in the dining hall and painted the entire dining area. The team installed new door and wall trim and replaced electrical switch and outlet covers.
- The Arc of IRC team cleaned and organized 2 art closets and a file cabinet, and cleaned up the trash around the outside of the building and out by the street.
- The Hibiscus Center team installed and leveled cypress mulch along the entire front area of the Center’s administration offices. After work completion some of the team members joined the service teams at UP and Habitat for Humanity.
- The Habitat for Humanity team worked at the ReStore cleaning and organizing merchandise for the benefit of Sarah Williams a HFH candidate and a graduate of the Samaritan Center.
- The Samaritan Center team cleaned up and disposed of yard debris, installed and leveled mulch in the children’s play area, and pressure cleaned walkways and porch areas.
- The Wabasso UMC team painted the trim and inside walls of the UMC Wabasso Fellowship Hall area and prepared lunch for the church choir.
- The United Against Poverty team worked to organize warehouse areas where merchandise is stored for sale in the UP retail store.
OLYN 2017 was an amazing event! Those who participated experienced the Lord’s joy, the joy he feels when his people live out their salvation gift. As stated by Pastor Jeremy, OLYN is not a once a year project, but it is an annual celebration of our personal commitment to a lifestyle of loving service to others. Additional local missions service opportunities will be planned throughout the year. Information regarding future service events and the advance call for FUMC volunteers will be published as details are finalized.